installation probs on SGI: _socket package removed.

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Apr 16 05:44:19 EDT 2002

ophirb at hotmail.com (ophir) writes:

> When building python on SGI IRIX646 I've notice that although the
> _socket library compiled and linked ok, the 'make' process failed to
> import _socket and removed it.
> Following the advice I found here at the newsgroup I attempted to
> manually compile and link _socket.so, then tried importing it from
> python.
> The results: An exception was thrown saying the symbol __eprintf was
> not defined in the shared object.
> Has anyone encountered this problem and have any help on this?
> What library is the symbol __eprintf defined in?

This usually means that you're linker and compiler don't match
(i.e. compiling with gcc but linking with the system ld).  Or maybe
openssl was compile with gcc? (quite likely if _socket is the only one
that fails) __eprintf is defined in libgcc.a, at any rate, so you
could try explicitly linking that in.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Well, yes.  I don't think I'd put something like "penchant for anal
  play" and "able to wield a buttplug" in a CV unless it was relevant