PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 1 17:13:08 EST 2002

"Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message
news:AP1q8.41430$pT1.1144020 at news1.tin.it...
> Pearu Peterson wrote:
> > users/developers/educators. From what I have learned last years about
> > Python development (other people comments being the main source), then
it
> > is not exactly a democratic process where majority rules.
>
> Absolutely not, *thanks be*.  I strongly suspect I wouldn't _want_ to use
> a language developed by "a democratic process where majority rules" -- cfr
> e.g. Larry Wall's quip "Perl is worse than Python because users WANTED
> it worse"... I think there's truth in it.  A single language architect's
> intuition, supported by advice and reasoned opinions of whoever he cares
> to listen to (as opposed to votes which are just counted, no matter who
> expresses them and what arguments, if any, they're bolstered by) stands
> a stronger chance of producing a gem than a committee's productions.
>
> I don't agree with every decision by the BDFL, but I'm still pretty happy
> that HE decides, not a committee -- and not even me (if I somehow felt
> sure that my decisions would be better, I could after all go elsewhere...
> doubt a better language would result that way, though).

Even if I thought my decisions would be "better" than Guido's (which they
would be only to me) I would nevertheless be glad that Guido was taking the
flak and not me. By my current estimate, this thread is accounting for
arounf a third of current c.l.py posting volume.

The bicycle-shed syndrome rules again!

regards
 Steve