wxPython / Your Experiences in large project ???

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 8 14:33:46 EDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:55:24 +0200
Harald Schneider wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what are your experiences, using wxPython/wxWindows in large projects?
>
> Large means in my case a sales system, based on MySQL.
> I'm thinking about implementing it in wxPython, but I'm not sure about the
> stability of
> wxWindows and the wxPython wrapper ...

While working as a developer at a call center (telephone sales and surveys) I
developed a system using Python, wxPython and MySQL.  I did encounter the
occasional problem when upgrading wxPython versions, but nothing that wasn't
readily fixed.  It was a moderately complex system, having a custom markup
language for prompting the telemarketer (so different sales regions could use a
different "script" without code changes) that was parsed and passed through as
HTML to the wxPython HTML widget.  Besides the database access, the software
also had to control an autodialer via telnet and have a fallback dialing system
in case the autodialer failed.  The system ran on 90 seats, 16 hours a day, 7
days a week for over two years. It was fast, stable, and any of the problems we
had could be usually be directly attributed to me =)

Also, if you have doubts about whether the lack of a standard/stable/* IDE for
wxPython is a problem, consider that this system went live less than 30 days
after the initial spec. There was only one developer (me) using only XEmacs
(although the first couple of days in production were a special sort of hell ;)

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)