PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Apr 7 11:58:13 EDT 2002

In article <ZMZr8.1903$Sw5.1235 at atlpnn01.usenetserver.com>,
Steve Holden <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:

>It's becoming clear to me that Guido's biggest mistake was proposing
>this as a PEP. Since none of the arguments expressed as a result have
>swayed his opinion that the change is a good thing, he might as well
>have simply introduced the change by fiat.
>
>That way he could have ignored the resulting howls of protest
>rather than being forced to respond to them. Not much else would be
>different...

Well, no.  How could Guido have known there were no good arguments
against, save by proposing the PEP?  Do recall that the division
argument turned up some points that resulted in modification of the PEP,
including the critical issue that the default operation of / would *not*
change until Python 3.0.

I think it might be possible to make changes in the way Guido-introduced
PEPs get presented to reduce the amount of shouting from people like
Laura.  I hold no hopes that anything would get better results from
people like Arthur and Paul Rubin.

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker