Deprecate input()

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Apr 15 21:36:17 EDT 2002

In article <a9f95n$jg0$1 at bob.news.rcn.net>,
Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
>[Aahz]
>>[Raymond Hettinger]
>>>
>>>The help and tutor maillists indicate that the use of input() rather than
>>>raw_input() is widespread.  I think this function is so harmful and so
>>>likely to be used that it should be deprecated hasta pronto (right away).
>>>When really needed, eval(raw_input()) is easy enough to code and explicit
>>>about what it does.
>>
>> Write a PEP.
>
>Rules of the game:
>'''A PEP that has not been discussed on python-list at python.org and/or
>python-dev at python.org will not be accepted.  ''' -- from Pep 1

First write the PEP, then submit it, then post it to c.l.py for
discussion.  Incorporate the results of the discussion into the revised
PEP (making sure to include dissenting opinions), then request BDFL
pronouncement ("BDFL pronouncement" == "accepted" or "rejected" or
"needs more work").

Make sure to reread *all* of PEP 1, plus PEP 9.

What if there were no rhetorical questions?