A faster Python?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 3 02:02:43 EST 2002

Scott Hennesy <henne021 at tc.umn.edu> writes:

> What's the consensus out there? Do Psyco, NumPy, and SciPy fulfill
> the need for speed or is there a desire for a faster Python?

Among the Python contributors, I think the consensus is that there is
a desire for Python working faster, not for a faster Python.

If you have something that runs too slow, analyse why that is, then
think about how to improve it. If you find that changes to the
interpreter are needed, and if you think the changes are generally
useful, don't break existing applications (or break them in a way
compatible with PEP5), and don't involve "dirty hacks", please
contribute a patch to sf.net/projects/python.

IOW, a rewrite of the complete interpreter is nowhere in sight -
better aim for gradual evolution than revolution.

Regards,
Martin