Off topic C question

Ryan ryanmorillo at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 8 22:58:05 EDT 2002

I know this is way off topic, but I figure the heavy hackers here will
understand my mindset better than those at comp.lang.C
    I have been doodling with python (nasty habit I know but I have to
do somthing with my snake) and think I may be ready to learn a second
language.  I am leaning towards C over C++ and Java even though I
loose objects it will ground me firmly in functional programing.  I am
wondering what book would be the best for a begginer?  The two I have
seen that look interesting are
C for Dummies (parts one and two) or
The C Programming Language
by Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie.
I am looking for some input from someone who knows and knows the
problems I will face coming from a __nice__ language like python.
Thanks (and sorry about the off topic)