Accessing mdb(access 2000) files on linux using python

B martin_byrne2 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 18 04:01:22 EDT 2002

"Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote in message news:<ZLhv8.1231$Ip3.1214 at atlpnn01.usenetserver.com>...
> "B" <martin_byrne2 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:508cb8ae.0204170837.6f800a24 at posting.google.com...
> > Hi,
> > Just wondering if anyone knows how to manipulate mdb files stored on a
> > linux webserver using python.Using win32com on windows is fine but on
> > linux can i manipulate the database using pythons odbc connectivity or
> > is there another way.
> >
> > Any suggestions, links or sample code would be of great help.
> >
> I'm sorry to say I suspect you're chasing a phantasm here. I'm not aware of
> any such code. Neither do I know of a Unix ODBC driver for Jet database
> files. I'll be delighted if somebody tells me I'm talking through my hat.
>
> Of course, it's quite possible to migrate the data (using Python) from
> Windows+Access to Linux+MySQL or some other such combination. I presume
> there are specific reasons you don't want to do this (such as use of the
> database over Samba by Windows-based systems)?
>
> regards
>  Steve

Yeah I'd like to keep with access if at all possible. The reasons for
this are as follows. The databases are being used to drive websites
for certain customers of ours. The current setup is that each site has
its own mdb database which the customer can change themselves, such as
changing the products they are selling,vat rates,delivery charges,
etc. This makes things easier for both parties(less work for us and
more control for the customers).
At the moment our webserver is IIS but we are hoping to migrate to
apache in the near future and there we have the problem.
I had guessed that accessing mdb databases on linux was a no go, just
thought there might be an obscure way to do it.
Looks like I'll have to write some sort of mysql frontend before we
change to apache.

Thanks for the help