Java to Python translation

Matthew Baulch matt at greenroom.com.au
Wed Apr 3 08:17:08 EST 2002

"vio" <vmilitaru at sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:3CAAC372.792A0F9A at sympatico.ca...
> Greetings,
>
> I need to translate a (rather voluminous 100MB) java program to python.
After a
> few searches on google, apparently the best tools for this task are
Lex-Yacc
> (Flex-Bison on linux). While I am working on the Lex-YACC HOWTO, I would
be very
> interested in hearing of others' successful experiences/feedback at this.
Any
> pointers of interest would similarily be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
> Vio

I'm inclined to wonder why you would be better off with python rather than
java for such a large project and, whether the added cost of using java sums
up to the HUGE (well, maybe) cost of converting to python.

If it is completely necessary however, i'd suggest reviewing the design,
adapting it to work with python and re-write it rather than translating
class for class, method for method and line for line.

Regards,
  matt