Python-2.2.1, Solaris7, make test fails...

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Wed Apr 17 11:39:36 EDT 2002

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<mailman.1019036193.29349.python-list at python.org>...
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
> >
> > And while you are at it... You have not compiled python itself as PIC
> > code. No, gcc -shared *doesn't* work in Solaris unless you are using GNU
> > Binutils instead of the native linker and assembler, something *not
> > recommended at all*. Solaris' linker can't bild a dynamic loading
> > library/module using object code compiled in position dependent mode.

I first came up against this with GNU Bayonne on Solaris 7. However,
wxPython also brought up some similar issues in the past, too:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?th=610b65907f740e28

> I ran configure.  I have tried running configure with --enable-gnu-ld
> and this didn't help, even with the latest binutils, so I have used the
> sun ld.

As far as I remember, you really do need to use binutils if you start
to experience the linking problems that you described. Before, that
didn't seem to be necessary with Python, but I'd guess that this has
somehow become the case in the past two years - I haven't really used
Solaris for about a year now, however.

Paul