Is Python fit for multi-tired apps?

Eike Kock ekock at movatis.com
Tue Sep 18 10:38:57 EDT 2001

Hi,

I've spent the last weeks studying Enterprise Java Beans (EJB) and J2EE. It
takes a lot of time and code to achieve very little. Features beeing
wonderful in theory just don't address complex scenarios in reality (e.g.
CMP). The incomplete specification leads to vendor specific solutions -
using them leads to vendor lock-in. Design patterns help avoid problems of
the spec (e.g. entity bean performance issues) but leaves you with apps that
can't really be called object orientated.

Disappointed with J2EE I looked for possible alternatives and found Python.
What a cool language! I did'nt expect to find a .Net or J2EE like framework
but found typical multi-tired app functionality like object distribution
mechanisms (Pyro, CORBA ORBs).

Is Python fit for multi-tired apps?
Is a pure Python framework a valid option?
Are there any larger implementations using a pure Python framework?

Thanks,
Eike