Python and Zope

Paul Winkler slinkp23 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 16:51:40 EDT 2001

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001 22:18:52 -0700, Andrew Murray
<mr.murray at mindspring.com> wrote:
>Frankly I was pretty unimpressed with Zope. After one gets over the
>'gee-whiz' factor,
>I've found that the learning curve behind Zope and the relative
>non-portability of the code you
>must write for it far outweigh the benefits (what are they again btw?) of
>using Zope.

Well, I found it very valuable to not have to implement security,
persistence, version control, cataloging, or support for ftp ...

There's also the very large library of extensions which means you can
often start from something very close to your needs.

As for non-portability, most of that is due IMO to DTML which to me is
the Achilles' heel of Zope: very ugly and confusing for all but the
simplest tasks. Thankfully we now have Page Templates which are a
dream and in fact can be used outside of Zope too.

--PW