Best book on Python?

Heiko Wundram heikowu at ceosg.de
Thu Sep 20 06:01:00 EDT 2001

On Thursday 20 September 2001 04:06, you wrote:
> I found PP2E to be an excellent resource -- well written and
> comprehensive.  I like it so much I have been lugging it on my commute
> for the past month despite its mass.  If you have used Python at all on
> a daily basis, you should have sufficient background (if not, Learning
> Python by the same author -- Mark Lutz -- is an excellent beginner text).

I can only agree on Programming Python, second edition. What has been very
helpful to me has been:

Python Standard Library by Fredrick Lundh (also published by O'Reilly).

This book covers pretty much all that's covered in the Library Reference, but
extends it in several ways: While I think the Library Reference has much too
many descriptions of singular functions in modules but gives much too few
examples of how to use them, this book does the opposite: It just consists of
lists and lists of source code that demonstrate common usage of most of the
modules of the Python Standard Library.

Both references add up for me: When I need specific information I look into
the Library Reference, when I need examples (pre-written code) I look into
the book.

Shouldn't be too expensive either, I got it for ca. $14.

--
Yours sincerely,

	Heiko Wundram