Best book on Python?

Paul Winkler slinkp23 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 22:53:30 EDT 2001

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 02:06:30 GMT, Joseph C. Kopec <kopecjc at att.net> wrote:
>I found PP2E to be an excellent resource -- well written and
>comprehensive.  I like it so much I have been lugging it on my commute
>for the past month despite its mass.  If you have used Python at all on
>a daily basis, you should have sufficient background (if not, Learning
>Python by the same author -- Mark Lutz -- is an excellent beginner text).

I started with Learning Python and highly recommend it. It's not by
any means comprehensive, but I found that once you finish part I
(which introduces all the key parts of the language in a clear,
straightforward way), you've got a good solid foundation. Part II
covers the most commonly used parts of the standard library, and you
can skip around depending on what you find interesting. Beyond that, I
haven't found any need for additional python books - I just refer to
the documentation, especially the library reference.

--PW