The $HOME of Windows.

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Tue Sep 25 12:27:32 EDT 2001

Hi,

Curtis Sandoval <csandoval at fourthought.com> schrub:

> One possibility for this is the %USERPROFILE% variable which should be
> set
> in the system environment.  This will map to the 'Documents and
> Settings\username' directory on NT5 and the '\Profiles\username' on
> NT4,
> which are functionally equivalent directories.  Win95, 98, etc are not
> really designed for multiple user capability, so you if you want to
> support these operating systems you will probably want to just put
> your config
> settings in 'Program files\programname\username' to be more universal.
>  This will also work on NT4 and NT5, so this may simplify your task.

This is not such a good idea, because:

- It requires write access for all potential users to the programm
installation directory

- It mangles program and user data storage, thus making backups and
re-installations more difficult

- It ignores that in some installations, users have home directories
and roaming profiles that are stored on a server, and all user data
travels to whatever station the user logs in.

Those three points are - in my eyes - the biggest mistage Netscape has
made in their browser, it is rather difficult to get it working in such

markusenvironments.

--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty