Python and Zope

Van Gale cgale1 at _remove_home.com
Mon Sep 10 03:57:01 EDT 2001

"Tim Hammerquist" <tim at vegeta.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:slrn9pm782.dnm.tim at vegeta.ath.cx...
> Ah. The PHP route. Of course, DB access would be better served through a
> universal API, such as Perl's DBI.  This maintains portability whether
> it be CGI, mod_* script, or even standalone, you can just encapsulate
> the access methods and drop it in somewhere else with minimal changes.
> Zope's solution sounds more like PHP's, which is just as flexibly and
> portable as I like.

re: databases ...

It's not the same in Zope, at least as far as ZODB is concerned.  ZODB is a
python object database.  Python itself is the "API" into ZODB.  It's
basically a mechanism for making any of your objects persistent, and all you
need to do is make persistent.persistent one of the base classes to your
class.  Amazingly simple, very powerful.  You can store your ZODB in a file
in the filesystem, or you can use one of the big databases for storage
(MySQL, Oracle).  ZEO (Zope Enterprise Objects) can be used to turn ZODB
into a distributed object database.

You can use ZODB (not sure about ZEO) in any python application.  This makes
it highly portable between python applications, but unusable from any other
environment/platform/language/whatever.

I can't speak for interfacing to other databases from inside Zope, since
I've only used ZODB.  It would be nice to have something like Perl's DBI in
Python in general (you can't pin a fault like that on Zope), and I think
people are still working on it :)

re: The PHP route ... and Zope sounding like PHP

I don't think you can compare the two at all.  Zope is an application
server, not just a language.  You might be able to put a full fledged
application server together from PHP components, but I haven't seen any free
ones with the same scope and consistency in design that Zope offers.
(*crosses fingers and hopes nothing new has come out in the last 8 months
since I researched PHP options* :)