Is 0 > None?? (fwd)

Radovan Garabik spam at melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk
Sat Sep 1 15:19:43 EDT 2001

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak at knm.org.pl> wrote:
 : Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:32:28 -0400, Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters <mertz at gnosis.cx> pisze:

 :> Don't forget about Unicode strings, which have the same problem.

(sorting)
The "natural", portable, unicode strings sorting order should be
raw byte comparision. End of story.

 : And I would definitely make the default encoding not ASCII but the
 : default for the current platform/locale, despite I've heard it would
 : be a bad Idea (because of non-determinism).

and you heard correctly that it is a bad idea. A very bad idea indeed,
because it could happen that my program would stop working for anybody
with different locale charset.
And for those on OpenBSD as well (since OpenBSD does not have proper
locale support)

| Radovan Garabik  http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik |
| __..--^^^--..__         garabik @ fmph . uniba . sk       |