dde?

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Wed Sep 5 10:04:38 EDT 2001

Hi,

> 3. DDE has a number of potentially crippling faults, but it is quite wrong
> to describe it as a damaging zombie.  When used correctly, it works
> extremely well.

On Win32 platforms (that is, everything from Win95 and WinNT upwards) this
is not correct.
A single running application in the system (note: ANY application in the
system, not just the client or the server application in question) that does
not properly process DDE messages in its message loop can easily BLOCK the
whole DDE system and you will wait for your DDE call to be completed
forever.

There is an article on MSDN about that and how it is caused in detail, but
unfortunately I do not have the number in my memory.

Anyway, I would agree with Alex' choice of terms :-)

best regards
Werner