dde?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed Sep 5 07:55:28 EDT 2001

"Carlos Gaston Alvarez" <cgaston at moonqzie.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
>     I am doing a python applicaction in Windows. I need a grafica
aplication
> witten in C++ to comunicate with it. Opening ports is not aceptable. I was
> thinking of making of python a dde server. Can I do it? Where I can find
> documentation?

ActivePython (and win32all as an add-on to normal Python) does
support dde, but you're *FAR* better off avoiding it -- use
COM instead.  DDE is a zombie -- dead since many years ago,
yet keeps walking (stumbling) around and doing damage.

Anyway, if you're keen on DDE -- no docs, AFAIK, but you'll
find tangential mention in the thread at:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/1999-July/007106.html
including one tiny example.

Alex