GNU wars again (was Re: Proposal: add vector arithmetic to array module)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sun Sep 30 13:29:39 EDT 2001

In article <7xzo7jnkjv.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <phr-n2001 at nightsong.com> wrote:
>"DeepBlue" <DeepBlue at DeepBlue.org> writes:
>>
>> This is new to me - if you can not redistribute a distribution in a
>> modified form, does it mean it is not free?
>
>Correct.  See www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html for explanation.

Lots of people disagree with this, which is why the phrase "open source"
has become so much more popular than the GNU view.  I understand why
some GNU-oriented folks might resent other people taking their ball and
running away with it, but "free" is such an ambiguous term that I've
decided that I fall into the Open Source camp.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.