Suspected Unicode problem when reading text from Excell

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at devmail.geminidataloggers.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 07:45:46 EDT 2001

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak at knm.org.pl> wrote:

>Let me phrase this question differently: are there many people who
>... want programs to work on ASCII only?

In the past I have argued for this; It is better to have an exception,
so the developer knows that he needs to add explicit unicode handling,
rather than risk that any default conversion be the wrong one.

Im no longer sure this is a strong argument, because it has rarely
saved me from a real problem. The full details are in the i18n-sig.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com