Python and Zope

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Sun Sep 9 09:21:40 EDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 07:28:27AM +0000, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> >    Benefits of Zope vs mod_*:
> >
> > 1. It is a server, not a CGI - it is always in memory, it does not forks
> > for ervery request (speed).
>
> How does this differ from mod_*?  mod_* are not servers in themselves,
> but they are compiled into the server, so they are not CGI.  They do not
> fork for URIs handled by a mod_* handler.  Apache retains all CGI
> capability at the same time.

   Apache modules are just CGIs. Apache forks off a child at random, and at
random kills children. On the other hand, web-application server is always
in memory. This allows for the server to create persistence connection to a
DB. How can you implement persistence connection in Apache module? Those
"solutions" that are in mod_perl and mod_python are (in my not so humble
opinion) just unstable hacks.

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru