Python and Zope

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Mon Sep 10 07:19:36 EDT 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 10:47:08AM +0000, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> >    I know. I know very well what is CGI, what is apache module, and what is
> > web-application server.
>
> Then I was hoping you could explain this snippet:
>
> > > Apache modules are just CGIs.
>
> Ok, an Apache module sends and receives information through API hooks.
>
> The CGI spec states that information is passed to the CGI app on STDIN
> and in the environment, and that information is received back via
> STDOUT.
>
> What am I missing that makes them the same?

   We are talking about "Apache vs web-application servers". In this
context modules are so like CGIs (forked and killed) so I don't need to
make a distinction.

> > > Apache forks off a child at random, and at random kills children.
>
> You said elsewhere in the thread that what you meant by "random" was
> simply that it's not up to the module when the server process is killed.
> This reminds me of two things:
>
> 1)  When people would post to clpm wanting to know why they ended up
>     with two identical random integers, apparently mistaking "random"
>     for "unique."  It's a frequently misused word, it seems.

   In English the word "random" has many meanings! What about "Random
Access Memory"? This is just a kind of memory where you can access every
address at your will (at random!) Apache kills children "at random" means -
it kills it by its own will, not consulting the very children :)

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru