Python and Zope

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Mon Sep 10 06:47:08 EDT 2001

Me parece que Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.pp.ru> dijo:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 08:31:32PM +0000, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > Make sure you know what CGI is.  CGI is _not_ anything that spawns
> > another process.
>
>    I know. I know very well what is CGI, what is apache module, and what is
> web-application server.

Then I was hoping you could explain this snippet:

> Me parece que Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.pp.ru> dijo:
> > Apache modules are just CGIs.

Ok, an Apache module sends and receives information through API hooks.

The CGI spec states that information is passed to the CGI app on STDIN
and in the environment, and that information is received back via
STDOUT.

What am I missing that makes them the same?

> > Apache forks off a child at random, and at random kills children.

You said elsewhere in the thread that what you meant by "random" was
simply that it's not up to the module when the server process is killed.
This reminds me of two things:

1)  When people would post to clpm wanting to know why they ended up
    with two identical random integers, apparently mistaking "random"
    for "unique."  It's a frequently misused word, it seems.

2)  When Microsoft called Linux and other Open Source projects
    "potentially viral." (ie, propaganda)  If this were the case,
    the use of the word "random" would have been _ab_used.

[ snipped Oleg's NSHO ]

> > Zope can ride on top of an Apache server using mod_pcgi, described at
>
>    As the author of mod_pcgi2 I can assure you are completely wrong. Zope
> does not "ride on top" of Apache. The module just connects to the already
> running Zope. If Zope is not running, and the module was configured to
> start it - the module will start Zope. But Zope will be started as a
> separate process, not inside Aapche.

My apologies in this.  I read the text wrong.

> > Zope may very well be the best at
> > what it does, but let's just make sure we _know_ what it does.
>
>    Many of us know it well.

Good. Let's just all of us keep our terminology straight and there'll be
nothing to worry about. I may have come off sounding too arrogant in the
last post and I apologize again.  However, I would very much like to
know what Apache mod_* modules have in common with CGIs...as well as why
you chose the word "random", obviously knowing what it means,
considering your experience.

Tim
--
Little one, I would like to see anyone -- prophet, king or
god -- persuade a thousand cats to do anything at the same time.