Off-topic: hiding your email address - don't bother...

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Sat Sep 29 04:57:05 EDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 11:57:22PM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> More and more people are resorting to various schemes to try and hide their
> email addresses from email address harvesters.  It's frustrating to me to
> get mail bounces when I reply to posts and forget to un-doctor your email
> address.  I think it's a fruitless exercise for a few reasons:
[skip]
> I bet you know the conclusion of this missive: Don't bother trying to
> protect your email address.  Resistance is futile.  If you want to filter
> out spam, find a service you like that filters email (like SpamCop or your
> ISP), learn how to use procmail, or learn to write sendmail milters in
> Python or get Jason Mastaler's TMDA system that works with QMail (there - I
> snuck in *two* Python code references into my message so it's not
> off-topic!).  In short, do something that stands a real chance of helping.
> Doctoring up your email address isn't going to cut it.  You're just sticking
> your head in the sand...

   I completely agree with you, Skip!

   Few years ago I saw an essay about it, and I think I saw it right here,
in c.l.py. My memory says it was written by Guido. Probably I am wrong -
why Guido would write such essay, I don't know.
   The essay said that hiding address is ineffective and impolite.

   Ladies and gentelmen, please stick to netiquette and play fair game! If
you don't want to get two replies (via newsfeed and by mail) - just express
this in your message. Add it to you signature, e.g. But don't make other
people worry about incorrect address. Please!

Oleg.
----
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru