Why so few Python jobs?

Warren Postma embed at geocities.com
Thu Sep 27 21:45:04 EDT 2001

> Any ideas on why so few Python jobs are available?

In my job, I use Python, but it is because I know Python and felt it was
the best tool for the job.   But seldom is it the "defining" characteristic
of a position. In particular, my job calls for C/C++ skills.  I have ported
python to embedded system platforms we use, and so my job is more entitled
"Embedded C/C++ Developer" than "Python Developer".

In other words, many more people use Python than it would seem from their
Job Descriptions.   Also, few jobs would exist that would require you to
know ONLY python, and not also require C/C++.   Python may be great, but
remember, it's written in C.  That makes C great by certain logical
principles. An effect can not be greater than its cause, something like
that. <grin>

Warren