The nntplib module

Travers Naran tnaran at direct.ca
Tue Sep 18 14:14:47 EDT 2001

"Martin von Loewis" <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:j4n13scspq.fsf at informatik.hu-berlin.de...
> It's part of the standard Python library, so patches should go to
> sf.net/projects/python. If you feel that your changes might be
> controversial, write a PEP.

Hey, this is the first major Python code I've written, and already you're
talking about me writing a PEP? :-)  I think the PEP will be a good idea
because although the way I've written it is backwardly compatible, it is a
significant change.

> > On a side note, I've found running my script under Linux (same wintel
box)
> > much faster than running under Windows 98.  I suspect it's the
difference in
> > Virtual Memory performance, but I can't prove this.  Discuss amongst
> > yourselves. :-)
>
> My guess is that it is more likely the efficiency of the TCP stack.

Really?  The reason I thought it was the VM was because Win98 really bogged
down when downloading large articles (like really big binaries).  It bogs
down to the point that I start getting resource error messages when opening
new applications.  Also, the little spedometer I have via Zone Alarm was at
far less than maximum (typically less than 50% utilization), so I didn't
think it was maxing out the TCP/IP stack.  Also, after switching to my
modified nntplib, the performance improved considerably.