idea: Robocode for Python - (redux :)

Richard Jones richard at bizarsoftware.com.au
Mon Sep 10 20:25:40 EDT 2001

Anyone remember the python robots effort we had a few years ago? We had a
mailing list and all called "bots-list" - I have no archives, and amk's
archive is no longer either...

I seem to recall that we all got busy with our Real Jobs at the time and
never got back to it...

Let's see...

I think the most progress that came out of it was Greg Stein's code:
   http://www.pythonpros.com/gstein/war/

Greg also has a bunch of links for bot-stuff. It's probably really old (was
updated in October, year unknown :) Haven't tested any of the links:
   http://www.pythonpros.com/gstein/bots.html

John Eikenberry produced some code too (though his website has vanished):
   ftp://ftp.coe.uga.edu/users/jae/PyBots/

Toby Sargeant and I went several steps in another direction - we believed
that "processor-level" control was the only way to go to have a level playing
field, and we'd actually designed the basis of a new language with all sorts
of bot-specific stuff in it like event handling with inheritance and other
fun :)

    Richard