Creating Excel files on Linux

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sat Sep 8 08:47:55 EDT 2001

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Oleg Broytmann wrote:

>Hello!
>
>   Completely offtopic. Sorry, I cannot resist. Well...
>
>On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 11:04:37AM -0500, Maan M. Hamze wrote:
>> living in.  I am not defending Microsoft here, but I am being realistic.
>
>   In you realism you said many bad words about people and companies. I
>don't want to be that kind of "realist". I want to be an idealist. Only
>idealists can change the world. Realists seems to be slaves of the status
>quo. (I am not flaming you, don't take it personnaly.)

Probably, the better word is "conformist". It is always easier to be
conformists (unless revolution happens ;-)

And being non-conformist requires personal sacrifices: I can't apply for
grants because they require me to fill Word & Excel forms. (And it turned
out that Word documents created by StarOffice crush/hung MS Office 2002
mercilessly.) So, if MIcrosoft monopoly will last, my non-conformistic
views will make me non-conformic with the whole society, because I will
not be able to interface with state using free systems. For example, if I
had a firm, I *MUST* pay for at least MSDOS under which works the program
to prepare tax-reports! While such programs are probably just several
screens of Python code + database of classificators, etc.

The only hope is to convince gov's to use free software as happens in the
West.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Saturday, September 08, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/