Creating Excel files on Linux

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 17:21:02 EDT 2001

On Friday 07 September 2001 13:16, you wrote:

> Yes, poor little innocent IBM.  The same company that till recently was
> known for a monnolithic culture stangling in neckties and suits.  The fact
> that Gates took them for a ride is a reflection of their own idiocy and
> their stunning lack of vision.
> have a good wekend all,
> Maan

Yep, they have been/are a lot of suits.  Nevertheless, they have _always_ had
a tradition of being extremely fair with their business partners and Gates &
Co took advantage of _that_.  Had IBM dealt with Gates the way Gates deals
with his business "partners", IBM would have owned DOS and Microsoft would be
but a small footnote in PC history.

It's more like the idiocy and stunning lack of vision of the average PC user,
who choose MS on a daily basis.  The vision of MS provided us with 16-bit
OS's for a decade after the introduction of the 386.   It also provided us
with the petri dish for hundreds of VBA macro viruses.  Wasn't part of their
vision also to "replace" the Internet with MSN?

Besides, I never suggested anything about "poor little" IBM.  Since you
missed the point, I will expound: I was referring the fact that they are 10
times the size of Microsoft (I'm not referring to the nonsense of the stock
market, but actual employees/revenue, etc) and are investing 1 billion this
year to Linux development and promotion.

Have a very nice weekend.

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer