newbie - Scoping question

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Sep 17 13:13:56 EDT 2001

"P Adhia" wrote:
> I'll appreciate if anyone can me clarify my Python scoping rules a
> bit.

scoping has nothing to do with this.

in Python, a variable is a name associated with an object.

the from-import statement creates new names, in the current
module, which points to existing objects from another module.

assignment also creates new names in the current module.

the above statement doesn't modify the original "x" object;
it creates a new list, and gives it a name.

> I am confused as to why "x", when not qualified with module name, does
> not refer to "x" in "test", even though I did "from test import *".

if the introductory book you used to learn Python didn't explain
this, ask for a refund ;-)

reading the following articles might help:

    http://effbot.org/guides/python-objects.htm
    http://effbot.org/guides/import-confusion.htm

</F>

<!-- (the eff-bot guide to) the python standard library:
-->