Using glob (was Re: Remove files of same type (extension))

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Sep 26 23:10:49 EDT 2001

Boyd Roberts wrote:

> "Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> a écrit dans le message news: 3BB1DDE2.DD45D2C8 at engcorp.com...
> > I don't understand the part about it being only "with the complicity of ls".
>
> echo *
> echo `ls`

This is meaningless.  ls returns the non-hidden files.  Echoing them
is no different than just displaying the names.  What do you expect
to see from echo `ls` that you don't see from just ls ?

Anyway, what the hell is your point?  You aren't even arguing a point
here, just posting snippets of apparently (to me... please enlighten me)
useless and meaningless shell code without even attempting to explain
why you think it's relevant.

Again another way: ls is just a command, one of many.  You don't
need to use it or even have it on your system, and yet the shell
still goes ahead doing globbing (e.g. echo *) and following the
rules of shell globbing referred to in the first place.  Just what
this has to do with ls and its supposed complicity in the matter
is really beyond me.

(Please reply with English rather than shell script if you have
a point to make.)

(Apologies for sounding curt, but this is the third message from
you on the topic which doesn't seem to catch the point.  Maybe
I'm just missing something that's obvious to you.)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com