Python's architecture

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Sep 14 08:33:26 EDT 2001

jonas.b at home.se (Jonas Bengtsson) writes:

> Is there any good resources 'out there' that describes the
> architecture of Python? The most material I have found has been about
> the syntax and such.
> We are a group that are going to have a presentation about Python's
> architecture as a school work (for about 30 min).

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Do you want to know how the
Python language is organized? If so, I'd say it is structured as most
other languages, i.e. syntax, semantics of the core language, plus
standard libraries. Details on how these are organized is available in
the reference manuals.

Or do you want to know how the C implementation of the Python
interpreter is organized?  I don't think there is much overview
information on that available - most people dealing with that are
expected to know about compiler construction, i.e. from reading the
Dragon Book (Aho, Seti, Ullmann. Compilers - Principles, Techniques
and Tools). The Python interpreter follows many of the principles
explained there (lexer, parser, AST, semantics analysis, code
generation, ...).

HTH,
Martin