Python is better than free (was Re: GNU wars again)

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Thu Oct 4 04:48:19 EDT 2001

Lee Morgan <unknown at lee-morgan.net> schrub:

> Markus Schaber <markus at schabi.de> writes:
>>
>> I would think that importing in python is some kind of linking.
>> Dynamically and at run-time, but it is some sort of linking.
>>

> Hmm, how about if py2exe is used to distribute? You can't then get the
> LGPL code, change it and relink it to alter behaviour.
>
> Actually, as its a zip archive, maybe you could...I wonder if that
> would that count?

The decisions are difficult in those cases, not only concerning py2exe.

How about compiling a GPL application against a GPL'ed implementation
of an API, and afterwards an user running the compiled program with a
closed-source dynamic linked library implementing the same API?

Isn't this technically similar to run a GPL java class (developed e. G.
using the GCC Java compiler and libs) inside a closed-source virtula
machine (like the one from sun?

And including binary-only firmware into linux kernel drivers?

There are lots of discussions about this, and the fact that there are
so much "special cases" is the fact I dislike about the GPL.

But the whole discussion is off topic here, so I put an F'up2 me.

markus
--
You don't have to be Microsoft to suck... but it helps.
(Tim Hammerquist in comp.lang.python)