odbc introspection

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Oct 24 07:04:41 EDT 2001

"Christophe Delarue" <cdelarue at bigfoot.com> wrote ...
> I'am new as a child in windows. But I would like to query DB through
> the odbc interface from Sam's dynwin or the Hammon's win32 interface.
> We have got a SQLServer database on a server. I've created a ODBC link
> on my local PC.
>
> When I connect through Access to this DB I can see all the tables
> (there is a table named ``dbo_SITE'') and their column in a graphical
> way.

The names that Access gives to linked tables aren't the names that the
database hosting the tables actually uses.

> If I connect to this DB trough python.odbc, I can only do SELECT
> requests. If I do SQL query like 'SELECT * FROM dbo_SITE', an error
> raise saying there is no table wich this name. This query work on
> through the access api.

Try a query like:

    SELECT * FROM SITE

> How could I have the list of tables names present on this connection ?

This would probably require a deeper understanding of the ODBC interface.
But you can get the names from Access - just omit the leaing "dbo_" in the
table names.

> Once I've got the table names I saw how to browse their columns.
>
> Right now I make an export in DB3 format, convert to gadfly ! (That is
> not a good solution to be on time)

Indeed. SQL Server can be accessed directly, but the "odbc" module is a
little limited. You might look at the mxODBC module, which you can find at
www.egenix.com.

regards
 Steve
--