Traceback oddity

Georg Bisseling Georg.Bisseling at pallas.com
Fri Oct 19 09:07:47 EDT 2001

Dale Strickland-Clark wrote:
>   File "S:\JOBS\Gibson\Library Manager\librarymanager\cli\lb.py", line

>   File "s:\jobs\gibson\library manager\librarymanager\lbdbTable.py",
>
> The observant will have noticed that the first few filepaths are in
> mixed case whereas the last are all lower case.
>
> I only noticed because I'm trying to post-process this report.
>
> Any ideas why?

Because Bill didn't get it right in the first place...

The FAT12/16/32- and NT-Filesystems are not case sensitive but
"case aware". That means you can have a file named "a" and
a file named "A" but they are not allowed to live in the same
directory.

If you open "a" or "A" for read you get either "a" or "A" whatever
is there.

To complicate things the newer Windows-Versions do not show the
filenames as they are stored on disk but in a "beautified" Form.

So it is safe and consistent to use lower case letters when searching
for files to read.

ciao
Georg