Using browser as interface to python app

Sandy Norton sandskyfly at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 10 07:15:56 EST 2001

Hi Pythonistas,

I've just been prototyping a simple multi-threaded internet news
monitor and have gotten to the point where I need to make a decision
about the direction(s) the user interface might take: I've ruled using
wxPython and Tkinter as I think a GUI is overkill, however I'm
intrigued by the possibility of running a simple local webserver which
would serve a set of webpages (with checkboxes, text fields, etc..)
directly to a browser which would then allow the user to interact with
the running python app.

I thought about using CGIHTTPServer in the Standard Lib but its use of
forking doesn't make sense for Windows. OTOH, I'm also sure that
there's a COM way to do this somehow, but I'd really like to try to
make the end app as portable as possible. Another consideration is
distribution footprint...(we wouldn't want the user to have to
download and set up apache :-)

Any tips, pointers, advice whatsoever on this topic would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sandy Norton

FYI: I'm using Internet Explorer 5.0 and python 2.1.1 on win2K