Python Newbie

Paul Rubin phr-n2001d at nightsong.com
Mon Nov 5 03:18:58 EST 2001

Read the tutorial in the documentation directory at www.python.org
if you want an intro to the language.

> i know instead of asking here i should start coding but i have no
> idea what should i code.
> Is there anyone in here willing to conduct a small class or at least giving
> out exercise to newbies to code ?

If there are some things you'd code in perl, write them in python
instead.  If you want to learn programming in general, the best book
is Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, by Abelson and
Sussman:

  http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/sicp.html

however, it's kind of idiosyncratic, and its examples and exercises
are in a Lisp dialect called Scheme.  Nonetheless you'll learn a lot
from it, and Python's approach will seem natural to you.  You should
be able to do a lot of its exercises in Python instead of Scheme.

There are some Python books too, but I haven't looked at them yet.

> 2. Another thing when doing coding if i am facing problem i tend to stop or
> rather wanted to learn everything in a day or as fast as i could which i
> believe is a wrong approach. Is there anyone kind enough to give me some
> direction in order i could code something useful.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn fast.