problems when starting python

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Nov 7 02:58:49 EST 2001

"barabba" <barabba72 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just started using python and have the following problem.
> when i double-click the pythonw.exe the application does not start !!
> Anybody knows why  ?

pythonw.exe is designed to let you run a python script without
an associated console window.

to make something appear on the screen, you must 1) pass
a script name to pythonw.exe, and 2) make sure that script
creates a window (usually by using Tkinter or any other UI
toolkit).

(you can get around (1) by using the extension ".pyw" instead
of ".py", and clicking on the pyw file.  the following excerpt from
o'reillys "python programming on win32" contains a little more info:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/excerpts/chpt20/?page=2

:::

if you're just tinkering, use IDLE or fire up a command (MS-DOS)
window, and run the interpreter from there:

    c:\mydir> python myscript.py

or

    c:\mydir> python
    PythonWare 2.2b1 on win32