Non-Indented python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Thu Nov 22 10:22:43 EST 2001

"David Bolen" <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote in message
news:ud72btm0n.fsf at ctwd0143.fitlinxx.com...
> But the oldest definitions were just that a TAB character moved the
> cursor to the next active tab position.

This is how typewriters worked, as well at least some word processing
programs.
After clearing the default tabs (every whatever - 1/2 inch for
WordPerfect), this worked well for tables - tab once to the start of
every column, and then adjust tab stops so everything looked nice.

To me, a default of 8 spaces is way too much for programming indents -
lines rapidly become too short.  It is also too much for 1/2inch
paragragh indents (5 chars with 10 pitch (chars/inch) fonts, 6 with 12
pitch).

Terry J. Reedy