Non-Indented python

Lucio Torre lucio at movilogic.com
Thu Nov 22 12:38:12 EST 2001

Delaney, Timothy wrote:

>>From: Jeff Shannon [mailto:jeff at ccvcorp.com]
>>Dave Cinege wrote:
>>
>>>Rule of God:
>>>The punishment for non-tab based indentation is death.
>>>
>>This is exactly backwards.
>>
>>Tabs are wrong, because different editors will treat them differently.
>>
>>Spaces are right, because a space is a space is a space,
>>everywhere you go.
>>

>There are actually two things involved here.
>
>If you use tabs everywhere for indentation (i.e. tab *characters*, not tab
>*stops*) you are guaranteed that you can cut and paste from any other source
>code that uses tabs everywhere, even if it doesn't look right onscreen
>(because they used a different tab size).

On problem i had several times, is that while cut and pasting code from
one source (ie, mozilla) to a editor (ie, komodo), indentation will be
wrong. lines would be continued an there would be a real mess because to
'beautify' the source, youd have to understand the code.

another problem the soft structure gave me is while trying to compile
pippy on windows. not a pippy problem, but something it took us a lot of
time to find out. i had unzipped the source with winzip (which uses
\r\n) and tried to compile it with cygwin. of course, it couldnt do it,
and i had to try everything until i used od and find out the not visible
problem.

nice for writting, easy for reading, but really really bad for moving it
around.

lucio.