A Python GUI Book.

Carl Banks idot at vt.edu
Mon Nov 12 17:54:26 EST 2001

Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> wrote:
> One defect that most GUI books I am aware of suffer from is that they
> are written almost exclusively from the point of view of providing
> ways for users to provide _input_ to your program, database, or whatever.

It's not just the GUI books.  The GUIs often are written almost
exclusively from that point of view, only tacking the external
asynchronious stuff on as an afterthought.

> This is easy to teach, and works well with the philosophy that the
> user should be in complete control, and that nothing should happen
> until the user asks for it, by clicking a button or whatever....
>
> And then, on your first job, you have to write code that handles
> real-time updates of a package tracking system.  Many people need
> to write applications where the user _is_ a passive receiver of
> data.  This is hard to do well, and worth a chapter all to itself,
> in my opinion.

I totally agree.

I'm thinking a good example program would be something along the lines
of an IM client.  I would guess you don't want to use a black box
library to handle the protocols (so that users can experiment), so
maybe it's not that good an idea.

Or maybe a flight simulator would be a good example.  That shouldn't
more than a few pages.  ;-)

--
CARL BANKS