OT: Mobile Internet Toolkit EULA (was: IsPython really O-O?)

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Mon Nov 12 09:27:56 EST 2001

Guido Stepken <stepken at little-idiot.de> graced us by uttering:
[ snip ]
> IMHO they do forbid the use of
> their software together with GPL ....but i have no evidence (i dont't use
> M$ !). I there anybody out there, who has a copy of this M$ license ?

I tried to follow the links from a slashdot.org article, but MS seems to
have moved the page.  A search for 'MIT EULA' on msdn.microsoft.com
returned four URLs, the third of which follows:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/Downloads/eula_mit.htm

Some interesting excerpts:

The Restriction:
[ snip ]
:     (c) Open Source.  Recipient's license rights to the Software are
:         conditioned upon Recipient
:         (i)  not distributing such Software, in whole or in part, in
:              conjunction with Potentially Viral Software (as defined
:              below); and
:         (ii) not using Potentially Viral Software (e.g. tools) to
:              develop Recipient software which includes the Software,
:              in whole or in part.
[ snip ]

The Definition:
:   Recipient shall not distribute the Software, in whole or in part,
:   in conjunction with any Publicly Available Software.
[ snip ]
:   Publicly Available Software includes, without limitation, software
:   licensed or distributed under any of the following licenses or
:   distribution models, or licenses or distribution models similar to
:   any of the following:
:   (A) GNU's General Public License (GPL) or Lesser/Library GPL (LGPL),
:   (B) The Artistic License (e.g., PERL),
:   (C) the Mozilla Public License,
:   (D) the Netscape Public License,
:   (E) the Sun Community Source License (SCSL), and
:   (F) the Sun Industry Standards License (SISL).
[ snip ]

The rest of the EULA adds more legalspeak, but it doesn't get any more
lenient.  I believe MS was trying to see how this would go over in the
community and decided to test it with a pre-release version of software
in case users raised too much of a fuss.

Cheers!
Tim Hammerquist
- --
You know, we've got armadillos in our trousers.
It's really quite frightening.
    -- Nigel Tufnel, "This is Spinal Tap"