Monty Python (was: Freeware Python editor)

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Nov 1 14:54:09 EST 2001

In article <3BE18C8E.D9E75CD4 at ix.netcom.com>, Antaeus Feldspar wrote:
>> On 01-Nov-2001 Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>>  >  On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 07:39:31AM -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
>>  > > [Makes note to remember that Oleg isn't a Monty Python viewer.]
>>  >
>>  >     Few years ago I tried to view the scetches - there was Russian
>>  >  translation of them on TV - but found them stupid and boring. Well, I was
>>  >  in bad mood those days, may be now I'd find it more interesting :)
>>
>> You should really watch them in their original language. And I admit,
>> some of them are not that great (those where legs and arms are cut off
>> and blod everywhere). But then there are the others (for instance the
>> dead parrot sketch), where the humour is in the language. And they are
>> fantastic.
>
> Even some of those were much funnier at the time because the audience
> understood the references being made.

I think some of the humor is lost on us Americans due to to the
cultural references that go flying past without comprehension
(assuming we can actually catch all of the dialog to begin
with).  I thought the one German episode was still fairly funny
when subtitled...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm having fun
                                  at               HITCHHIKING to CINCINNATI