Monty Python (was: Freeware Python editor)

Antaeus Feldspar feldspar at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 1 12:55:26 EST 2001

Mikael Olofsson wrote:

> On 01-Nov-2001 Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>  >  On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 07:39:31AM -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
>  > > [Makes note to remember that Oleg isn't a Monty Python viewer.]
>  >
>  >     Few years ago I tried to view the scetches - there was Russian
>  >  translation of them on TV - but found them stupid and boring. Well, I was
>  >  in bad mood those days, may be now I'd find it more interesting :)
>
> You should really watch them in their original language. And I admit,
> some of them are not that great (those where legs and arms are cut off
> and blod everywhere). But then there are the others (for instance the
> dead parrot sketch), where the humour is in the language. And they are
> fantastic.
>
> /Mikael

Even some of those were much funnier at the time because the audience
understood the references being made.  For instance, one of those
sketches with "blood everywhere" is supposedly the movie "Salad Days"
where a happy, laughing garden party is marred by a series of absurd,
bloody accidents -- the lid on a piano keyboard accidentally comes down
on a pianist's fingers and severs them immediately, and blood fountains
from the stumps, for example...

What makes this much funnier is if you know of the *real-life* director
to whom this fictional film "Salad Days" is credited to, Sam Peckinpah,
whose films are noted for extreme amounts of shocking violence springing
up, often in supposedly tranquil settings.

	-jc