Installing Python > 2.1: make fails in posixmodule.c

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Nov 29 06:08:12 EST 2001

I hate unix sometimes.

Elmar Höfner <elmar.hoefner at uibk.ac.at> writes:

> > Do you mean to say the patch in the bug summary fixed the problem?
> > That's very strange, seeing as that patch was applied before 2.1.1 was
> > released.
>
> Well, looking at the sources of 2.2a2 and 2.2b4, it doesn't seem so for me.

Do you mean 2.2a4 and 2.2b2?  Not that it makes much difference.

> After I added the following lines mentioned in file
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?group_id=5470&atid=105470&file_id=8323&aid=440522
>
> [which I found on the page above] in Modules/posixmodule.c, it compiles
> fine:
>
> [line 34 in 2.2a4]
> #ifdef HAVE_GETPRIORITY
> #ifndef PRIO_PROCESS
> #include <sys/resource.h>
> #endif /* !PRIO_PROCESS */
> #endif /* HAVE_GETPRIORITY */
> [line 40 in 2.2a4]

There are lines *very similar* to these at ~1200:

#if defined(HAVE_BROKEN_NICE) && defined(HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H)
#if defined(HAVE_GETPRIORITY) && !defined(PRIO_PROCESS)
#include <sys/resource.h>
#endif
#endif

> Well, yes and no. I can't submit this patch to sf, because I got it from
> there. :)

It seems the fix that got checked in wasn't the fix that got submitted
to sf, and didn't work for you.

Can you *email* me (i.e. don't post them to the ng) your pyconfig.h
and config.log files so I can have a poke?  I suspect
HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H isn't getting defined for some reason.

Cheers,
M.

--
  > I'm a little confused.
  That's because you're Australian!  So all the blood flows to
  your head, away from the organ most normal guys think with.
                        -- Mark Hammond & Tim Peters, comp.lang.python