Python.NET, MONO and Visual Studio etc.

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Nov 1 19:02:00 EST 2001

Max <maxx at easynews.com> writes:

> Thus, my point is that if a Python.NET is made available before the
> demand exists, then it can take advantage of forces already existing
> that do not have a current option.

Except that my interpretation is that creating a complete (e.g. not
the basic pilot/prototype that ActiveState) production Python.NET that
- and this is the key - performed well is not trivial.  I'm sure it
can be done, but it's going to take some real work and resource, which
for an average commercial company would likely have a pre-requisite of
demand.

Reading the white paper on the ActiveState site for Python.NET is
interesting, and shows how the CLR and VM for .NET, while powerful, is
not necessarily a good fit for dynamic scripting languages.  There's
no equivalent paper for Perl.NET but I expect that many of the issues
were the same.

--
-- David