Python.NET, MONO and Visual Studio etc.

Max maxx at easynews.com
Thu Nov 1 14:20:31 EST 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:16:39 -0800, Paul Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote:

>As .NET cranks up, customers may express interest in an equivalent for
>Python.

Would not the product be sucessful with an opposite strategy? If I understant
the CLR concept in .NET correctly, then a component "compiled" to run under the
CLR becomes "language invisible", i.e. the target cannot determine (and does not
care) what the source language is, correct?

This would eliminate all of the cases where developers have good, reliable code
already written in Python, Perl, etc., but IT/management will not accept it
because they refuse to implement the runtimes on the production servers. It
would also allow developers to use the source language that makes them most
efficient, and still be that way when it is required to deploy to a Win based
platform.

Thus, my point is that if a Python.NET is made available before the demand
exists, then it can take advantage of forces already existing that do not have a
current option.