Python, licenses and CVS

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Sun Nov 25 19:09:38 EST 2001

Hans Nowak <wurmy at earthlink.net> graced us by uttering:
> Howdy y'all,
>
> I'm currently developing a program (in Python, obviously) and plan to
> publish it. Before I do so, though, I would like to have some opinions
> on the following:
>
> - should I use a license / copyright notice?
> - if so, which one would you recommend?
>
> I know of the GPL, Python license, BSD license etc, and opensource.org
> has a long list of them, but I absolutely hate legalese, and reading
> all of this and pondering the possible consequences of picking one
> over the other makes me cringe. Does someone have a pointer to a
> page with some concise explanations of these licenses?

The following page has a long list of licenses and their explanations.
The list seems somewhat biased towards the GPL, since it's hosted on
gnu.org, but is fair in its facts.

Python has had several licenses in recent times; this page mentions the
brief GPL-incompatible license and the current GPL-compatible one, so
you can make sure you get the right one.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

In my case, my perl modules are released under the Artistic License
(like Perl) for consistency, while most other software I write comes
under the GPL or whichever GPL-compatible license is most appropriate.

HTH
Tim Hammerquist
--
The court finds everyone to be in contempt (including himself :-), and
orders everyone sentenced to five years hard labor.  (Working on Perl,