A Python GUI Book.

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 11:41:26 EST 2001

>Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
>
>> Hi group,
>>
>> I'm currently writing a Python GUI book, where several toolkits
>> (most likely PyGTK, PyQt, FOXpy, PyFLTK, wxWindows and...
>> of course... Tkinter) are presented and explained.
>> My idea is that besides going into some detail of every Toolkit I
>> construct _one_ application scenario with a skeleton, which I
>> later complete with each of the toolkits.
>> This should give the reader the means to choose the toolkit
>> which matches their personal taste & programming philosophy.
>>
>> Given this approach, the main question I'm currently trying to
>> figure out is: What application shall I present? It must be complicated
>> enough to show some advanced topics (not only presenting a tour of
>> the widgets and voila...) but at the same time small enough to cover
>> it within 50 pages or so (remember: for each toolkit!).

How about a chess-playing program? It wouldn't have to make chess
moves (there are engines such as gnuchess that do that), but it would
have to display the board, allow people to make moves, put the moves
on the board, display a clock for how much time people have used, etc.

--
*** Philip Hunt *** philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk ***